In the beginning, Camden Lugoff Area Shag Society (C.L.A.S.S.) was a culmination of efforts by shagging enthusiasts Sammy Fowler and Patty Cooper. Sammy had the Holiday Inn at the time. According to Hubert Williams, they would have roast beef carvings and hors d’oeurves on Tuesday nights at Plums with music provided by the Woody Shag Show. As a result of their hard work and by popular demand, C.L.A.S.S was born on August 31, 1987.
The Club was formed for the advancement and preservation of the South Carolina State Dance, “The Shag.” C.L.A.S.S. had a membership of 187 members the first year.
- To promote and preserve the heritage of beach music and shag dancing.
- To educate and teach others the art and history of shag dancing.
- To provide members and guests with dance opportunities.
- To inform members of beach music and shag dance activities.
- To actively participate with the Association of Shag Clubs (ACSC).
Why not join C.L.A.S.S. today???????? Click Here for 2018 Membership Form